What is Wi-Fi 6?
Wifi 6: a technical explanation
Wifi 6 has been the newest WiFi standard since 2019 and has the technical name 802.11 ax. This version is more in line with the needs of the modern age. What is important to know is that WiFi 6 is not a simple speed increase. A brief overview of the new features:
- Higher speed: Where Wifi 5 hangs at a theoretical 3.5 Gbps, Wifi 6 has a speed of 9.6 Gbsp. This gives every device in your house that is on your wireless network more bandwidth.
- More devices online at the same time: A WiFi 5 router can handle 4 devices at the same time. Of course you can have more online, but then they are in a virtual queue. A WiFi 6 router can handle 8 connections simultaneously thanks to Multi-User-Multiple-Input, Multiple Output (MU-MIMO). Also the use of techniques such as Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access (ODMFA). This ensures that your wireless network remains fast even when more devices are connected.
- Better WiFi coverage: WiFi 6 works on both the low and high frequencies. A low frequency is a little slower, but gets through ceilings and thick walls better. The higher frequencies are faster but less easy to get through obstacles. Wifi 6e can also use the 6 GHz in addition to 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
Which routers support WiFi 6?
At the moment there are some routers that support Wifi 6:
|Brand and type||Best price|
|Huawei wifi mesh 7 Mesh Wifi 6||329,-|
|ASUS Rapture GT-AX11000||429,-|
|Netgear Orbi RBK852||710,74|
|Netgear Orbi Pro SXK80B3||1179,-|
What is the difference between WiFi 6 and WiFi 6e?
Wifi 6 and previous generations operate on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. A WiFi 6e device can also work on the 6 GHZ frequency. The 6 GHz spectrum works in the same way but has additional non-overlapping channels which improves stability and throughput.
Is WiFi 6 dangerous for humans?
No. WiFi is an electromagnetic radiation. This has never been proven to be harmful. IF it would be harmful, it is just as harmful as the WiFi standards we currently use since it works with the same power and on the same frequencies. To put it into context, unprotected tanning is much more dangerous than WiFi 6 radiation.
WiFi is also a non-ionizing radiation which makes it very unlikely that you would develop cancer or other health problems. Ionizing radiation is dangerous but is mainly produced by radioactivity.
Which smartphones support WiFi 6?
- Apple – Iphones: From iPhone 11 and above
- Huawei: P40 / P50 / Mate30 / Mate40
- Motorola: Edge 20 / Moto G / Edge 20 Pro / Edge 30 Pro / Moto G100
- Nokia: G50 / XR20
- OnePlus: Nort 2T / 10 Pro / Nord CE 2 Lite / 9 / 8 / 8 Pro
- Oppo: Find X5 / A54s / Find X3 / Find X5 / Reno6 / Reno6 Pro / Find X2 / X3 Pro
- Realme: GT 5G Master Edition / GT Neo 2 / GT 2 Pro / GT Neo 3 / GT / Q5 Pro
- Samsung: S10 and new / Galaxy A52s / Galaxy Note 10+
- Sony: Xperia 5 III / Xperia 1 II / Xperia 1 ||| / Xperia 1 IV / Xperia Pro-I
- Xiaomi: Mi 11 / Mi 11 Lite/ / 11T / 11T Pro / 12 / 12X / 12 Pro / Mi 10 / Poco F3 / Redmi Note 9 / Redmi Note 9 Pro / Poco F4 / Poco X4 GT /
In what year was Wifi released?
|Wifi default||Official name||Year||Theoretical speed|
|WiFi 1||802.11b||1999||11 Mbit|
|WiFi 2||802.11a||1999||54 Mbit|
|W iFi 3||802.11g||2003||54 Mbit|
|WiFi 4||802.11n||2009||600 Mbit|
|WiFi 5||802.11ac||2013||3.5 Gbit|
|Wifi 6||802.11ax||2020||9.6 Gbit|
What logos do they use for WiFi?
|The Wi-Fi Alliance has its own logo for the standards and would like to have smartphone manufacturers display this on their screen|
So you can quickly see what kind of network you are connected to.
At the moment there is no logo for WiFi 6e